This website is designed for Perioperative Practitioners in the United Kingdom to collect a variety of information to including the patients age, the date of the operation, CEPOD grade, ASA grading, operation area, airway information, block details and course details undertaken inlcuding hours and credit if applicable. This data is collected for the purpose of the Perioperative Practitioners personal log and to provide evidence of continued practice as required by Professional bodies.
Once you have registered with our website, access to this part is also dependent upon use of an active username and password. Please read these terms and conditions carefully as they govern our relationship with you in relation to this website. If you have any questions about them or do not wish to accept them, please contact us via our contact form before using this website.
We may change these terms and conditions at any time by updating this page, in which case we will inform you by email. However you should also check this page annually to review these terms and conditions to ensure you are happy with any changes. Using or accessing this part of our website after navigating through these terms and conditions, indicates your acceptance of these terms and conditions. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, please do not continue to use this website.
GDPR and retaining personal data
The emphasis under the GDPR is data minimisation both in terms of the volume of data stored on individuals and how long it is retained for. To summarise the legal requirements, Article 5 (e) of the GDPR states that personal data shall be kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it is being processed. There are some circumstances where personal data may be stored for longer periods (e.g. archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes). Recital 39 of the GDPR states that the period for which the personal data is stored should be limited to a strict minimum and that time limits should be established by the data controller for deletion of the records (referred to as erasure in the GDPR) or for a periodic review. To comply with GDPR data retention any user who's account which is not renewed and not access for a period of 12 months will be removed along with associated data.
In using this site you must:
- You must not misuse the website, including, without limitation, by hacking into it and including the Data Protection Act 1998.
- By accessing this part of our website we assume that you are properly authorised to do so and once proceeding beyond these terms and conditions to log in to the restricted access area that you have been granted a valid password by us and are properly authorised to do so.
- If you have accessed this part of our website but are not authorised to do so, you must not proceed further and must inform us as soon as possible so that we can deal with any maintenance or security issues as soon as possible.
- not enter or disclose any confidential information, third party personal data (especially sensitive personal data) and in particular patient identifiable confidential medical data on Perioperative Logbook;
- not disclose any information, nor act in breach of any relevant employment contract or similar in relation to your position, and/or any related policy or policies or in breach of any other agreement;
- not disclose any ideas, materials, or works which you wish to keep confidential, or do or may wish to protect or obtain intellectual property protection for in the future.
- You must keep your password and your secure log on details confidential and secure. You must not share them with anyone else nor allow any other person to access this part of our website using your details. They are for use solely by you, in accordance with these terms and conditions and not otherwise.
- You must update or otherwise change your password and/or other log on details whenever required by us.
- You must notify us as soon as reasonably practicable if you lose, or forget your secure password and/or other log on details.
- We have made this Perioperative Logbook website available to you for your own non-commercial use. We may modify, withdraw or deny access to this website at any time, including introducing charges for its use or other restricted access. In relation to substantial changes, where this relates to areas for which you are currently dependent upon this website, we will try to give you as much reasonable notice of the proposed change(s) as practicable.
- You may not copy, redistribute, republish or otherwise make the materials on this website available to anyone else for a commercial purpose without our prior consent in writing, save that users can download them to make a copy for personal use or study only and otherwise as permitted below.
- These terms and conditions do not exclude our liability (if any) to you for: personal injury or death resulting from our negligence; fraud any matter which it would be illegal for us to exclude or to attempt to exclude our liability.
Information you provide to Perioperative Logbook
- You must not post to, transmit to, or input into this website any material:
- which is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, blasphemous, menacing or harassing;
- that is in breach of copyright, breach of confidence, breach of privacy or breach of contract or licence, or without licence or necessary authority;
- which is untrue or misleading (including providing incorrect information on operations or procedures allegedly carried out by you);
- which is unlawful or illegal, whether within ?? and/or elsewhere;
- which is technically harmful (including without limitation, computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, logic bombs, corrupted data or other harmful or malicious software and/or data); and/or
- which amounts to sensitive personal data (as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998) nor hack into the website in whole or part, nor attempt to affect the website and/or its operation by any denial of service attack or similar or comparable act or omission.
- we are entitled fully to co-operate with any law enforcement agency or authority or investigation, in this regard, including by identifying you and supplying your details where it reasonably appears to us to be relevant.
- We reserve our right to shut down or suspend access to, the use of or operation of all or any website facilities in whole or part, whether limited to your use of our website or otherwise, in the event that we know of or suspect a breach of these terms and conditions.
- We do not use persistent “cookies” (messages from our website to your computer which send information back from your computer to us) to operate this website. However, we reserve our right to do so in the future, in which case these terms will be updated accordingly.
- We use the information you supply to provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- to ensure logbook entries are legally compliant and in accordance with other relevant rules and conditions;
- to deal with your queries;
- to otherwise respond to your communication to us;
- to facilitate research and/or statistical or other analysis (having removed personal data);
- In relation to our website, we will not otherwise transfer, disclose, sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties, or to any party or parties taking over responsibility from us, or any development of or successor to it unless we have your permission or are required by law.
Electronic Surgical Training Logbook
- The rules which apply to your use of the Perioperative Logbook will depend upon the hospital and Trust where you work and. You must comply with their requirements in completing and dealing with your Perioperative Logbook e.g. in relation to the use of patient identifiable information. In particular, you MUST NOT input either patient identifying or sensitive personal data (as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998).
- The Perioperative Logbook has been assessed by the Information Commissioner's Office as not requiring entry onto the public register of data controllers as NO patient identifying data must be entered.
- Special care must be used when inputting data in any free fields.
- On the basis that the Perioperative Logbook information is not more widely accessible, provided you have input data in accordance with these terms, such processing of sensitive personal data is permitted. However you are responsible for the data you input and its use by you accordingly and we have no liability or responsibility in respect of it, in whole or part. You accept that responsibility and liability if you proceed to input information into the Perioperative Logbook.
- We act as hosts or guardians for the information concerned only and to facilitate its use in best interests of Perioperative Practitioners.
- If you record or use personal data (particularly sensitive personal data) in breach of these terms you will need to notify personally with the Information Commissioner, comply with the Data Protection Act 1998, especially the data protection principles, and would need express informed voluntary consent from the patients concerned to use their data in the logbook as required. In that case, failure to comply may constitute a criminal offence.
- We will try to ensure that subject to required scheduled and published unscheduled maintenance and repairs, the site is available as much as possible during 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year, whilst required.
- Availability and operation is however dependent upon the availability of the internet.
- Access and/or functions may be suspended or unavailable temporarily without notice due to unscheduled maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control and for which we shall have no liability.
Data Protection Act 1998
For simplicity we have separated the Terms & Conditions and The Data Protection Act 1998 into individual pages. The process of logging on to Perioperative Logbookor Creating an account assumes that you have read and agreed both the Terms & Conditions and The Data Protection Act 1998. By agreeing you also confirm that you are currently registered with an appropriate professional body.